Terms of Service
Meta builds technologies and services that enable people to connect with each other, build communities, and grow businesses. These Terms of Service (the "Terms") govern your use of Facebook, Messenger, and the other products, features, apps, services, technologies, and software we offer (the Meta Products or Products), except where we expressly state that separate terms (and not these) apply. If we show you ads on Meta Products, these Terms also govern how Meta uses information to show you ads that businesses and organizations pay us to promote. These Products are provided to you by Meta Platforms Ireland Limited. These Terms therefore constitute an agreement between you and Meta Platforms Ireland Limited.
Our Products enable you to connect with your friends and communities and to receive personalized content and ads (if we show you ads on Meta Products) that we think may be relevant to you and your interests.
If you use our Products for free with ads, we don’t charge you to use our Products and services covered by these Terms, unless we state otherwise. Instead, businesses, organizations, and other persons pay us to show you ads for their products and services. We show you ads that we think may be relevant to you and we use your information to help determine which ads to show you. You can also choose to subscribe to use our Products without ads. See Section 2 below to learn more about how advertising works on the Meta Products.
The websites under www.facebook.com and the services on these page are being offered to you by: Meta Platforms Ireland Limited, Merrion Road, Dublin 4, D04 X2K5, Ireland
Authorized representative: Richard Kelley
Registered in Ireland (Companies Registration Office)
Company No. 462932
For help or information about how to make a report:
- General information about how to report an issue to Facebook
- Reporting a copyright infringement
- Reporting a trademark infringement
- Information about intellectual property
- How to download your personal data
- Reporting an impostor account
- Reporting a hacked account
- Information about abuse and harassment
- Information about privacy rights
- Reporting functionality issues
- Information about usernames and web addresses
- Reporting accounts of deceased users
- Information about login and password issues
- Information about pages
- Information about page admin issues
1. The services we provideOur mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. To help advance this mission, we provide the Products described below to you:
2. How our services are funded
- If you choose to use our Products for free with ads, you allow us to show you ads that businesses and organisations pay us to promote on and off the Meta Products.
- If you choose to subscribe to use our Products without ads, you won’t see ads from us and we do not use your data for ads. The details of price, currency and payment period for the subscription for no ads will be provided to you before you complete your purchase.
3. Your commitments to Facebook and our communityWe provide these services to you and others to help advance our mission. In exchange, we need you to make the following commitments:
- Provide for your account the same name that you use in everyday life.
- Provide accurate information about yourself.
- Create only one account (your own) and use it for personal purposes.
- Not share your password, give access to your Facebook account to others, or transfer your account to anyone else (without our permission).
- You are under 13 years old.
- You are a convicted sex offender.
- We've previously suspended or terminated your account for breaches of our Terms, the Community Standards, or other terms and policie that apply to your use of Facebook. If we disable your account for a violation of our Terms, the Community Standards, or other terms and policies, you agree not to create another account without our permission. Receiving permission to create a new account is provided at our sole discretion, and does not mean or imply that the disciplinary action was wrong or without cause.
- You are prohibited from receiving our products, services, or software under applicable laws.
- You may not use our Products to do or share anything:
- That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory, or fraudulent (or assists someone else in using our Products in such a way).
- That you do not own or have the necessary rights to share.
- That infringes or breaches someone else's rights, including their intellectual property rights (such as by infringing another’s copyright or trademark, or distributing or selling counterfeit or pirated goods), unless an exception or limitation applies under applicable law.
- You may not upload viruses or malicious code, use the services to send spam, or do anything else that could disable, overburden, interfere with, or impair the proper working, integrity, operation, or appearance of our services, systems, or Products.
- You may not access or collect data from our Products using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data you do not have permission to access. We also reserve all of our rights against text and data mining.
- You may not proxy, request, or collect Product usernames or passwords, or misappropriate access tokens.
- You may not sell, license, or purchase any data obtained from us or our services, except as provided in the Platform Terms.
- You may not misuse any reporting, flagging, dispute, or appeals channel, such as by making fraudulent, duplicative, or groundless reports or appeals. Learn more about our policy on frequent submission of manifestly unfounded reports and complaints in our Misuse Policy.
- Permission to use content you create and share: You retain ownership of the content that you create and share on Facebook and other Meta Company Products you use, and nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want. To provide our services, though, we need you to give us some legal permissions to use that content. Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This license is only for the purpose of making our Products available to you. This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as Meta Products or service providers that support those products and service you use. You can end this license any time by deleting your content or account. You can delete individual content you share, post, and upload at any time. In addition, all content posted to your personal account will be deleted if you delete your account. Learn more about how to delete your account. Account deletion does not automatically delete content that you post as an admin of a page or content that you create collectively with other users, such as photos in Shared Albums which may continue to be visible to other album members. It may take up to 90 days to delete content after we begin the account deletion process or receive a content deletion request. If you send content to trash, the deletion process will automatically begin in 30 days unless you choose to delete the content sooner. While the deletion process for such content is being undertaken, the content is no longer visible to other users. After the content is deleted, it may take us up to another 90 days to remove it from backups and disaster recovery systems. Content will not be deleted within 90 days of the account deletion or content deletion process beginning in the following situations:
in which case, the content will be retained for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it has been retained (the exact duration will vary on a case-by-case basis). In each of the above cases, this license will continue until the content has been fully deleted.
- where your content has been used by others in accordance with this license and they have not deleted it (in which case this license will continue to apply until that content is deleted);
- where deletion within 90 days is not possible due to technical limitations of our systems, in which case, we will complete the deletion as soon as technically feasible; or
- where immediate deletion would restrict our ability to:
- investigate or identify illegal activity or violations of our terms and policies (for example, to identify or investigate misuse of our Products or systems);
- protect the safety, integrity, and security of our Products, systems, services, and users, and to defend ourselves;
- comply with legal obligations for the preservation of evidence, including data Meta Companies providing financial products and services preserve to comply with any record keeping obligations required by law; or
- comply with a request of a judicial or administrative authority, law enforcement, or a government agency;
- Use of your name, profile picture, and information about your actions with ads (if we show you ads on Meta Products) and sponsored or commercial content: Your name and profile picture and information about actions you have taken on Facebook can be used next to or in connection with ads, offers, and other sponsored or commercial content that we display across our Products, without any compensation to you. For example, we may show your friends that you are interested in an advertised event or have liked a Facebook Page created by a brand that has paid us to display its ads on Facebook. Ads and content like this can be seen only by people who have your permission to see the actions you've taken on Meta Products. Applicable data protection law remains unaffected. You can learn more about your ad settings and preferences.
- Permission to update software you use or download: If you download or use our software, you give us permission to download and install updates to the software where available.
4. Additional provisions
- These Terms (formerly known as the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities) make up the entire agreement between you and Meta Platforms Ireland Limited regarding your use of our Products. They supersede any prior agreements.
- Some of the Products we offer are also governed by supplemental terms. If you use any of these Products, you will be provided with an opportunity to agree to supplemental terms that will become part of our agreement with you. For instance, if you access or use our Products for commercial or business purposes, such as buying ads, selling products, developing apps, managing a group or Page for your business, or using our measurement services, you must agree to our Commercial Terms. If you post or share content containing music, you must comply with our Music Guidelines. If you have a subscription for no ads, then the No Ads Terms also apply. To the extent any supplemental terms conflict with these Terms, the supplemental terms shall govern to the extent of the conflict.
- If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
- You may designate a person (called a legacy contact) to manage your account if it is memorialized. If you enable it in your settings, only your legacy contact or a person who you have identified in a valid will or similar legal document expressing clear consent to disclose your content to that person upon death or incapacity will be able to seek limited disclosure of information from your account after it is memorialized.
- These Terms do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights. All of our contractual rights and obligations under these Terms are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
- We may change the username for your account in certain circumstances (for example, if someone else claims the username and it appears unrelated to the name you use in everyday life).
- We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our products and services. But we may use feedback and other suggestions without any restriction, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
- If the ownership or control of all or part of our Products or their assets changes, this could result in a transfer of your information to the new owner.
5. Other terms and policies that may apply to you
- Community Standards: These guidelines outline our standards regarding the content you post to Facebook and your activity on Facebook and other Meta Products.
- How we apply our content policies: This provides information on the restrictions we may impose on the use of Facebook, including information on how we apply our content policies, procedures, measures and tools.
- Misuse Policy: This policy sets out how we may suspend access to Facebook where we determine that you have frequently provided manifestly illegal content, or suspend processing reports or complaints where we determine that you have frequently submitted manifestly unfounded reports or complaints. You can also learn more about how we deal with repeated violations of our content policies here.
- Complaints Handling Process: This provides information on the rules of procedure of our internal complaints handling system.
- Commercial Terms: These terms apply if you also access or use our Products for any commercial or business purpose, including advertising, operating an app on our Platform, using our measurement services, managing a group or a Page for a business, or selling goods or services.
- Community Payment Terms: These terms apply to payments made on or through Meta Products.
- Commerce Policies: These guidelines outline the policies that apply when you offer products or services for sale on Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
- Music Guidelines: These guidelines outline the policies that apply if you post or share content containing music on any Meta Products.
- Advertising Policies: These policies apply to partners who advertise across the Meta Products and specify what types of ad content are allowed by partners who advertise across the Meta Products.
- No Ads Terms: These Terms apply if you have a subscription for no ads.
- Self-Serve Ad Terms: These terms apply when you use self-serve advertising interfaces to create, submit, or deliver advertising or other commercial or sponsored activity or content.
- Facebook Pages, Groups and Events Policy: These guidelines apply if you create or administer a Facebook Page, group, or event, or if you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion.
- Meta Platform Policy: These terms apply to the use of the set of APIs, SDKs, tools, plugins, code, technology, content, and services that enables others to develop functionality, retrieve data from MetaProducts, or provide data to us.
- Developer Payment Terms: These terms apply to developers of applications that use Facebook Payments.
- Meta Brand Resources: These guidelines outline the policies that apply to use of Meta trademarks, logos, and screenshots.
- Recommender Systems’ System Cards: This link sets out information on the main parameters of our recommender systems, as well as options for customizing your experience.
- Live Policies: These policies apply to all content broadcast to Facebook Live.
Date of Last Revision: 12 January 2024